Last night I gave FBC El Dorado “10 Things You Need to Know NOW to Prevent Chaos.” Of all of ’em, probably the biggest question that came to people’s minds was. . . Why Do We Need to Hire a Media Comm. . . uh. . . why should we hire a ‘how do you say it?’????
A Media Communications Coordinator.
“Why in the world should FBC hire one of these people?”
Think about the following questions and, along with ’em, ask yourself if you think FBC is prepared to engage???
– Do you Twitter? Do you know someone who does? Who are they? How old are they?
– Do you Facebook? Do you know someone who does? Who are they? How old are they?
– Do you Instagram? Do you know someone who does? Who are they? How old are they?
– Are you on Pinterest? Do you someone who is? Who are they? How old are they?
– Do you blog? Do you know someone who does? Who are they? How old are they?
– Do you know someone who doesn’t have a computer? A laptop? An iPad? A Kindle Fire? A SmartPhone? Okay smarty pants – count up the people you know who don’t have one of these and compare them to the people you know who do?
– Do you know that before someone visits FBC, they will check out our website first to decide whether or not we’re ‘worthy’?
– Do you have an app on your phone that will allow you interact with our church while you travel? Something that would help you and your family have some ‘God’ moments while on vacation and ‘not in church’ on Sunday?
– Do you know how to take a sermon outline from the pastor, a video clip from the web, words and backgrounds for songs from the music pastor and put them on a projection system for the entire church family to see on Sunday morning? Me either.
– Do you know how to interact with the people who installed our sound system to maximize it’s usage and ability? Me either.
– Do you know how to interact with the TV and radio people to ensure top quality for the fine people of El Dorado when they listen or watch? Me either.
– Do you Google? Okay, me too. Just seeing if you’re still with me.
– Do you know how to design a publication that looks ‘cool’ for a 14 year old and ‘nice’ for a 63 year old? Me either.
– Do you know that by the time I click the ‘Publish’ button on this article, most of what I have said here will be ‘out of date’?
Like it or not, our world is consumed by the media and is using it like breathing air and drinking water. We can get help to better engage our culture, or pretend it’s just not happening. Or worse – know it is happening and refuse to engage on it’s terms.
Paul would ask us this: “Have you become all things to all people, that by all means you might save some? Do you do it all for the sake of the Gospel, that you may share in its blessings with them?” (see 1 Corinthians 9:22-23)
A Media Communications Coordinator?
Yeah, he or she would oversee all that.