This is a first on the blog.
That’s right, ladies and gentlemen – for the beloved faithful who take time to read this particular pastor’s thoughts – you will recognize by the title that this is new.
The purpose of the blog – as the title suggests – is to use social media as a small means of intentionally pastoring the incredible FBC El Dorado.
Every Monday I try to answer a ‘pastoral-type’ question I have been asked I think others might be interested in reading (‘Now THAT’s a Good Question!‘).
Tuesdays – Nada.
On Hump Day (what day is it?) I meditate on a Proverb that coincides with that particular date on the calendar (‘Wisdom for Your Wednesdays‘).
Thursdays (before today!) – Nada.
And Fridays I let others do the writing for me – I link some articles of interest that I think might add value to your life (‘Five @ Free Flow Fridays!‘).
Just about every week there is something I want to throw out there to the FBC El Dorado faithful to inform them of things that are going on; or things they might need to be aware of; or things that will help them prepare for the weekend; or really just anything I think FBCers might need to know about church related stuff.
The best way I can think of – at this point – to communicate these random things ‘en masse’ is here on the blog. My hope is that the FBC peeps who currently get the blog would read the things I ‘throw out there’ on Thursdays and spread it to other FBC peeps (tell them how to sign up for this thing via email so it goes straight to their inbox). Since this is particularly for FBCers, the more who know these things, the better.
The first thing I want to Throw Out There on this Thursday is the number 41.
40 + 1.
50 – 9.
123 divided by 3.
That’s how many guest cards were turned in this past Sunday morning.
Some were out of towners.
Some were repeats (they have been visiting for a long while but are still not members).
One or two were children.
But a whole bunch of cards were first timers and second timers who didn’t fill out a card the first time they came.
Usually, on a good Sunday, 15-20 cards are turned in. This week? 41.
Why am I ‘throwing it out there’?
Simply to encourage you to:
- Intentionally meet some new people before and after the service.
- Keep inviting new people. They’re coming!
- Scoot in your pew and leave room for others to sit. (Translation: DON’T BE A PEW HOG!)
- Set up times to meet some new people for coffee or lunch.
- Follow up with a phone call, a note, or an email.
- Park far away and walk so they can have a closer spot to the facilities.
- Help someone you don’t recognize get to where they need to go. (Translation: See a young mom with 4 kids wrapped around her legs while she totes all their Bible’s? Offer to help her!)
- Remember: this is about spreading the GOSPEL. A number of the cards turned in expressed no membership of any church anywhere. Just like us, they need Jesus. Let’s bend over backwards to help point them to Him.
- Pray for God to speak to their hearts.
- Bottom Line: Come intentionally – thinking, “How can I help someone else’s experience here today be ideal?”
Alright – I just ‘threw it out there.’
Now, what will you do with it?